We've had three great Oakland Running Festivals now, touring Oakland and bringing the community together to celebrate running and the diversity and beauty of the city. We expect next year's events to be even better, and to help prepare you to run your best possible race, the Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders (LMJS) will once again offering a training program in its role as one of the official running clubs for this event. Here's your chance to support a local race and train with a club that was recently selected by the East Bay Express as the "East Bay's Best" running club.
Outstanding features of this training program:
- Organized group training runs most Saturday mornings featuring seasoned pacers to assist you. There will be a few Sunday runs in the program
- A training schedule for you to follow during the full training period (18 weeks marathon / 12 Weeks half marathon).
- Weekly training tips delivered via email.
- Training advice from coaches and experienced runners - e-mail your questions to a coach and receive an answer, and participate in our exclusive online forum.
- We'll have more certified coaches on staff this year than in the past years. There will be additional opportunities for special training, like Chi Running, and private coaching if you want more in depth training.
- Course preview - at least two of the training runs will be on the actual marathon course, supported with water stops.
- Access to injury advice provided by SOL Physical Therapy in Oakland.
- LMJS member discounts at SOL on massage, "Peak Performance Runners' Training" program, and special AlterG rates.
- Recommended interim races for you to participate in leading up to the Oakland Marathon.
- A pace group to run with on race day.
- A hospitality tent on race day
Other benefits may be added as other sponsors come on board. We're keeping our price low like last year.
Marathon Training Program
This 18 week training program will start in November. Weekly training runs will follow.
Half Marathon Training Program
This 12 week training program will start in December or January with weekly training programs. In response to suggestions from last year, the Half Marathon Training Program will have a special coordinator.